- 3 grated apples
- 1 cup chopped medjool or dried dates
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup + ¼ cup vegetable or coconut oil
- ¾ + ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 Tbs chia seeds + 2 Tbs water
- 1.5 cups wholemeal flour
- ½ cup almond or soy milk
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Combines apples, dates and bi-carb with 250ml boiling water in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix chia seeds and water and set aside. A thick gel will form after a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix ½ cup of oil, ¾ cups sugar and the chia mixture until combined. Stir through the flour, apple mixture and nuts.
- Spread mixture into a cake form (non-stick, oiled, lined or silicone will all work) and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix shredded coconut, milk, remaining ½ cup coconut sugar, and ¼ cup olive oil into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven and spread the coconut mixture on top. Bake for a further 25 minutes. Allow to rest on a wire rack, slice and serve warm.
- Note: coconut palm sugar is not the same as palm sugar. Coconut sugar is a low GI and sustainable alternative to regular sugar. It may also be named ‘coconut nectar’.
Recipe and photography by Jade Walker.Print Your Shopping List